Don't miss my website!

Don't miss my website! Video lessons and more for teaching writers.

Saturday, July 8, 2017

What's fun? {CELEBRATE This Week: 200}

I'm glad you are here to celebrate! 

Share a link to your blog post below and/or use #celebratelu to share celebrations on Twitter. Check out the details hereCelebrate This Week goes live on Friday night around 10(ish). Consider it as a weekend celebration. Whenever it fits in your life, add your link. 

Please leave a little comment love for the person who links before you.
*******


Sam is 11 and an early riser, like his momma. Often it is just the two of us who bring in the day. One morning he hugged me, then opened the curtains and said, "Look at the beautiful world!" I looked out the window and the sun was painting the sky above the tree line. 

I said, "I was thinking about going for a run. Do you want to come along?"

"Sure thing!" he said. 

These days it's harder for me to get out for a run. It seems that my energy is gone before my feet even hit the floor each morning. Instead of feeling invigorated after a run (or a walk or bike ride), I'm empty and ready to drop. The low energy remains all day. I was grateful for the extra motivation to put one foot in front of the other.

In the garage, Sam snapped on his bike helmet and wheeled his bike outside. I asked, "Do you want me to ride my bike or run?"

He looked up from his kickstand and said, "Whatever is most fun for you. It doesn't matter to me."

He hopped on his bike and spun around the driveway. I stood watching him. His response gave me pause...whatever is most fun for you.

He skidded to a stop in front of me and smirked. "I love it when I skid and spin my bike," he said. "Are you ready?"

I was still trying to figure out how to decide whether to go for a bike ride, a walk, or a run. I was filtering my choice through Sam's decision maker: whatever is most fun...

He pushed off and zipped around the driveway again. I watched him ride with no hands, then circle back and pull a wheelie before coasting past me. He gave a little wave. 

I admire the way Sam is carefree and fun loving. Sometimes I get perturbed by his panache for creativity and the mess left in his wake. This summer he has taken over the dining room and dubbed it his "Inventor's Studio." The table is littered with Legos and cardboard; marbles and balloons. He stores large cardboard creations underneath the table. Currently it is the home to the makings of a train engine. The cardboard contraption barely fits under the table. He leaves a trail in his creative wake, much like Hansel and Gretel dropped bread crumbs. Sam leaves scissors and cardboard scraps; lengths of yarn and fallen domino runs, the hot glue gun on the counter, the mat on the table with paint brushes in water.  Often he is no where in sight because he's in the basement working on his train layout or outside, riding his bike, shooting baskets, digging in the back yard, starting a fire in the fire pit...

He's busy having fun.

This summer I'm fighting the culture of busy. Most days I feel like I'm losing the battle I've waged. Is it an impossible fight? 

I watch Sam stand up to pedal and then make a sharp turn and head down the grassy north hill. He laughter adds a sound track to the rising sun. He jumps off his bike and pushes it up the steep hill. "Are you about ready, Mom?" he calls. 

At the top he puffs heavy breaths. "That's so much fun! It's worth  having to push your bike back up. Wanna try it with me?"

Maybe it's not so much about fighting busy, but deciding what to be busy doing. 

"Sure thing," I say and snap my bike helmet on my head.


7 comments:

  1. Love this morning story of you and Sam! Several lines pop out for me. "He's busy having fun." "His laughter adds a sound track to the rising sun." And finally this epiphany: "Maybe it's not so much about fighting busy, but deciding what to be busy doing."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that idea of "deciding what to be busy doing." Sometimes you just have to hop on the bike and go for a ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! Exactly what an eleven-year old should filter his choices through on a summer day! You are so lucky to have him there with his joyful vision of busy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this boy's attitude and spirit! You are so lucky to have him to be busy with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we are on the same path this summer, we are busy here but choosing how we are busy most of the time is good - I'm finding it a different joy than the school year. Ride that bike - and just be, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth, being busy engaging in fun activities sounds like the prescription for a great summer. Sam has a great attitude. Perhaps, adults should take a cue from him. I have been "busy" visiting my new grandbaby girl, Sierra. I am savoring each moment. Sorry my post is so late: http://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2017/07/first-month-joy.html.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful. Your Sam reminds me a lot of my son. He is so busy leaving messes... and It's hard for me to be zen about it... and at the end of the day, I end up feeling bad about not giving into the fun because I was too caught up in the mess. It's a constant struggle. I like this post because it is a nudge to chill out... do the fun... Thank you. http://www.ruthayreswrites.com/logout?d=https://www.blogger.com/logout-redirect.g?blogID%3D8569321493854013836%26postID%3D4049332681062529906

    ReplyDelete

I {heart} comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.