Don't miss my website!

Don't miss my website! Video lessons and more for teaching writers.

Saturday, August 3, 2013

favorite bits


One of the ways I felt spoiled at the Choice Literacy Writing Retreat was that I could go for a walk whenever I wanted. This is a luxury. My exercise is rarely scheduled when I want, but rather it is around the time that works best for my family. I logged enough miles at the retreat that my legs were a little sore and then I logged more. I went alone and with several different people. This time of walking and talking and connecting is one of my favorite memories of the retreat and a reason I was nourished. Deb Gaby, someone I work with daily and was also at the retreat, and I often walk when we want to process and plan and figure things out. I snapped a photo of our shoes and added a little sentiment in order to remember a walk is good for the soul.

This conversation...
"Mom, this looks like Here Comes the Garbage Barge," Sam said when he saw The Beginner's Guide to Running Away from Home.




I love that he notices authors and illustrators. He's right, Red Nose Studio illustrated both of the books.

This book...
{The Beginner's Guide to Running Away from Home. Jennifer LaRue Huget and Red Nose Studio. Schwartz & Wade Books is an imprint of Random House. Released: June 25, 2013.}
I like the surprise of found objects and the tiny details in the photographs that keep the attention of people of all ages. The art is perfect for this off-beat and subversive tale of running away. I like the pieces of advice I can glean both for a kid who is running away, or for a writer. Things like...
  • You need a really good reason.
  • If you're not sure your reason's good enough, try it out loud.
  • And now for the most important part. Write a note. Imagine your parents' faces when they read it.
I'm looking forward to bringing Jennifer LaRue Huget and Red Nose Studio's The Beginner's Guide to Running Away from Home into classrooms this fall. We'll not only be inspired, but we will learn more about crafting a story from this book.

And this book...
{Little Owl's Orange Scarf. Tatyana Feeney. Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers. Released: June 11, 2013.}

I'm always on the look-out for ways to inspire young writers to find ordinary topics for writing ideas. I'm planning to take Little Owl's Orange Scarf by Tatyana Feeney with me into primary classrooms this fall both to inspire writing ideas and also to use as a mentor for illustration study. The line drawings and simple color will support students as they become more intentional and purposeful in crafting illustrations.

This slice...
My writing group, BONS (Bits of Nothing into Something), wrote this poem at our Annual Writing Retreat at the cottage. I missed because we visited my grandma in Arkansas.

Hover
So I decided this adventure is going to real and bought the domain to Ruth Ayres Writes (and Discover. Play. Build. just in case it goes somewhere else). Soon, when I can figure it out, I'll be found at ruthayreswrites.com. Rumor has it that all of the previous links will still work, however, there might be a bit of a lag time. So if your links don't work in the next couple of days, no worries -- they will work again in a day or so.

Happy Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. I love these little bits! I will need to check out those books. Sam is such an observant fellow. Congrats on your new domain! I know it will all work. Can you teach me how to do the graphic on the picture? Maybe next year at All Write? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth,
    I love all the excitement I feel from this slice! I am excited to check out the two books you shared-especially the running away from home book. Also, it's sweet how Sam notices little details about the book in connection to other books. And most of all, I love the "I'll always walk with you" quote. It inspired me to think about how examples of walking with someone can help to figure things out...
    Lending an ear,
    Encouraging a task!
    Supporting a risk!
    Seeing something new!
    Just breathing together...
    Enjoy your last week of summer. My time is winding down too and similar conversations could be echoed at our house.

    ReplyDelete

I {heart} comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.