Don't miss my website!

Don't miss my website! Video lessons and more for teaching writers.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

a life well-lived

I'm reading a book that is making me rethink the ordinary. My ordinary is filled with health and abundance. We leave each morning with kisses and end each day with bedtime prayers and too tight hugs. It has become so routine, I don't even consider an alternative ending. Yet...

I am not guaranteed tomorrow.

It is a book that is making me face this fact.

I might not finish writing this blog post.
I might not finish my current read.
I might not finish the school year in five days.

This life I'm living could end at any moment, which leads me to consider how I can make the most of the moments I have.

I'm thinking that a life well-lived isn't so much about being comfortable or getting it right. Rather, it is about making much of God. Perhaps this means standing firm in what I believe and loving the best I can.

At the end of it all there will be many things unfinished. Hopefully loving well won't be among the things I didn't accomplish.

Join us at Two Writing Teachers
to read more slices and share one of your own!

15 comments:

  1. You have given me something to think about. It is all so true. I hoped I have loved well, too. What is the book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time and again we are reminded that life is fragile with no guarantees. We all need to remember that. You have demonstrated loving well many times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting my summer reading list- this sounds like an excellent book! I feel like this is one of those things that we can never hear too much! Thanks for writing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A book that makes you think such important things. I'll have to put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an amazing book! I am putting it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My little community has recently been touched with so much sadness. It makes me appreciate all that I am blessed with and really think about the what if's of life. I feel your last line to the bone..."hopefully loving well won't be among the things I didn't accomplish" because you just never know what tomorrow might or might not hold. (Thanks for the book idea...I've been starting to think about my summer reading list! Getting antsy to read!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your last sentence is incredible. Thank you for this thought-provoking and inspiring glimpse into your life. From your other posts, I know that loving well is one of the things you do best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think about this too. I try not to do it too often though. I want to be in the moment, not watching it. But that balance to be in the moment and not take it for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to have to add this book to my list. From what I know of you, I think you've got loving well down pat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's wise to remember that kindness and loving are what's important in our day. I've learned this very well by caring for my husband Ruth. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a good thing to rethink what we think of as ordinary and remember how extraordinary our moments can be. Thoughtful reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My sister, excited to hear Francis Chan at her daughter's commencement from Wheaton, ironically, had to leave the throng of people before he spoke because she thought she was having a heart issue...whisked away in an ambulance. Just another reminder of how fragile our existence is. Loving is the most important part of our lives. It takes some 'slow' to do a good job of this. I do have trouble with 'slow'. I am approaching my five year anniversary of my heart attack. Many would think that I would have changed the pace...but I haven't nailed it, even though I've made a few changes. I will have to read this book! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I am certain loving well will be top on your list of accomplishments. Love is perhaps the way you shine most brightly. I am ever grateful for your desire and ability to share your life, your learning, your love with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post brings a quote by Maya Angelou to my mind
    "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

    ReplyDelete

I {heart} comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.