Don't miss my website!

Don't miss my website! Video lessons and more for teaching writers.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

the wind whips the world

I woke up to the wind swirling and crashing and creaking and smashing against the house and the trees and the early morning ink sky.

It howled and I thought, The wind whips the world today.

Those words, the wind whips the world today, stuck with me. On and off, all day they kept swirling into my mind. The wind kept whipping the world.

I let them tumble off of my tongue. The wind whips the world today. Saying them aloud and feeling the same strum of the wind inside my throat as outside the walls.

These words grabbed hold of me and I wondered if this could be the start of a poem. If I were Amy, I would have known what to do with them. But I'm me and they continued to blow and scurry through my thoughts.

The wind whips the world today. I experienced it first hand, in and out. In and out. In and out. In and out. It was colder each time. Colder and the wind kept whipping. It didn't give the world a break.

It is too easy to be like this wind. I have this picture of how things ought to go. This image of things at work, at home, at writing, at friendship, at motherhood, at... at... at... And I keep going, relentless to try to get it just so, just how it's supposed to go.

The wind whips the world today. 

And there's the world, just doing the things the world does, suspended in the galaxy, orbiting the sun, turning round and round. It doesn't matter how much the wind whips the world today, it will keep doing the things the world does.

The same is true for the life I'm living. I can try to make it go just as it ought, just as it's supposed to go, just as I want it to go, but that doesn't mean it will yield to me. Sometimes it isn't about whipping things into shape as it is about letting go.

Letting go of my own agenda, my own ideas, my own scenario, and simply embracing the way things are allows life to snap almost perfectly into place. It's a conundrum I've yet to figure out. When I quit trying to orchestrate all of the details and allow The Lord to be in control, life suddenly feels more managed, more controlled, and more perfect.

I'm glad the wind whips the world today and these words wouldn't let go until I clacked them onto the page.

Click on the image to read other slices
or to join the challenge at Two Writing
Teachers.


4 comments:

  1. Ruth,

    Your images are poetic, your words wax poetic, your rhythm and repetition and cadence sings;however, your lines exist as comfortable sentences formed in comfortable paragraphs. I think your inner poet wants to come out. Cut your lines a bit. Find those powerful images and play and you, too, could let that inner poet out of the closet.

    Your prose made poetic--no word changes--only a change in lines and punctuation. Please forgive me...

    The wind whips the world today,
    just doing the things the world does,
    suspended in galaxy,
    orbiting the sun,
    turning round and round.

    It doesn't matter how much,
    the wind whips the world today,
    it will keep doing
    the things the world does.

    Girl, puhlease--
    You are a poet!
    Don't ya know it?

    Maya
    http://meanderingmaya.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wind is still 'swirling and crashing and creaking and smashing against the house and the trees" tonight as it has been all day. As I reflect on your words, I think of things I should let the wind carry away... thinking of the picture of the Spirit as Wind... thinking of His power to change us as we give our hearts to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that end, until you "clacked them on the page". It's like the thoughts were whipped around all the day, Ruth, until they settled. I agree with Maya-it is a beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so much I love about this.

    I need to copy these words in my notebook.

    "The same is true for the life I'm living. I can try to make it go just as it ought, just as it's supposed to go, just as I want it to go, but that doesn't mean it will yield to me. Sometimes it isn't about whipping things into shape as it is about letting go.

    Letting go of my own agenda, my own ideas, my own scenario, and simply embracing the way things are allows life to snap almost perfectly into place. It's a conundrum I've yet to figure out. When I quit trying to orchestrate all of the details and allow The Lord to be in control, life suddenly feels more managed, more controlled, and more perfect."

    Thank you for this thought.

    ReplyDelete

I {heart} comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.