Don't miss my website!

Don't miss my website! Video lessons and more for teaching writers.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

52 Day Challenge: Week 2

Click on the image to learn more about the 52 Day
Challenge.
Finding what is mine to do each day isn't difficult. The difficulty may lie in believing it is important. Mine to do each day involves caring about others. It is about slowing down and moving my to-do list down on the priority scale.

Each day is filled to the brim. Work and family and sports and friends and exercise all contribute to our already full schedule. And then I pray: What is mine to do today? As if I don't already have things to do for the day.

It's not just about having things to do, though. It's about doing the most meaningful things in a day. Life is short. Really short. And I have one chance to get the most out of each day.

I'm finding there is space in my day to do the things I'm led to do. This week, in my insanely packed work day, I had the time to listen to a friend. I cried with her. My heart broke for her. Another day, even though I was dead-tired and had a piercing headache (a rarity for me), I found the energy to listen, encourage, and support another friend. Even though dinner needed made, the kitchen cleaned, baths orchestrated, laundry washed, a book written, slices needing comments, more school work, cookies made for a celebration, and books to read, Andy and I still went for a walk, just the two of us. I didn't have time for more than 5 hours of sleep any night last week, but I still sent a few hand written notes to people I want to feel valued. I made a meal for a busy family. These things are important. They are more than tasks to keep busy during the day. They are part of my mission.

I have the time to do the things I'm called to do. Sometimes I get so caught up in the tasks of the day that I forget I make the decisions about how I spend my time. I have time to do little things. And I know these little things add up to big meaning.


Click on the image to read more slices
at Two Writing Teachers.

18 comments:

  1. "I know these little things add up to big meaning." I truly agree with that. I believe Jesus showed us that in the way He lived. So much of His life spent in ordinary days before He began His ministry, and in His ministry always time for people, so often in small groups or one-to-one, showing concern about their concerns, teaching with stories, and loving, always loving-a big thing made known even by little actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was touched when I read about the 52 day Challenge on your blog. Thanks for your update on a week so filled with meaningful things and things you were led to do.
    "I have the time to do the things I'm called to do." I admire your courage to discover the important things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautifully you say the truth, "I have the time to do the things I'm called to do." Too often, I get so engrossed in the day to day I forget or overlook this truth. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'These are part of my mission' - Your quick list swelled my heart as I thought of how you were doing the important things. It's you mindset of doing what you are led to do. Thank you for sharing and reminding us to notice the important things that we are led to do each day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These two lines at the end: "I have the time to do the things I'm called to do. Sometimes I get so caught up in the tasks of the day that I forget I make the decisions about how I spend my time." What a great reminders for me for this coming week! Thank you! I have to remember during my insanely busy week to stop in the mornings and ask: "What do I need to do today?" Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You continue to amaze me. Every single day.
    I also love the line about you making the decisions about how to spend your time--I've been trying to take that much more seriously over the past few weeks, and I think it's important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "What is mine to do today?" a lovely prayer. I try to remember God is a relationship God. Jesus life gives that model. So when I want to run off to something else (that stuff does have to be done but) I reflect on what is the most important thing. Love showing itself in relationships that is God's heart and that helps me set my priorities. Thanks for sharing this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is no wonder that you sleep a mere 5 hours each night.

    The way you choose to carry out your mission in this life provides an example I strive to live up to. You are a wondrous being.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that in writing about this challenge you are showing us the power of discernment. It is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many lines in this slice speak to me. It's hard to make time some days for those "little" things. But you spoke the truth in your last line--these little things add up to big meanings. Thank you for sharing the truth with us

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I have the time to do the things I'm called to do. Sometimes I get so caught up in the tasks of the day that I forget I make the decisions about how I spend my time. I have time to do little things."

    Thanks for these words, Ruth. I need to live them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your writing is, as always, thought provoking and inspiring and breathtaking! When I grow up I want to be like you! I'm going to pray, Lord, what is mine to do today this week during our break.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post was so fitting for me today. God touched me today, through you. Thank you. I am hoping He will keep speaking to me about how I am spending my time, which is a struggle I have been fighting for almost a year. Thank you, Ruth, for sharing your personal journey here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ruth, I looked forward to seeing part two. I really enjoy hearing about your experiences and how you are reflecting on priorities in life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good you took some time for yourself with Andy. Meaningful is good to remember when you feel your floundering or off course. I'll remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. And I return to the song I spoke about in your little thing post, Ruth: "Little Things Mean A Lot." And they surely do. I would put that walk with Andy at the top every day, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing with me/us your personal journey. I feel like I'm runing backwards. Your words give me encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shows where your values are - people. I am sure they are enriched by your moments of time.

    ReplyDelete

I {heart} comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.