Don't miss my website!

Don't miss my website! Video lessons and more for teaching writers.

Friday, November 18, 2011

ncte: an invitation to write

Session: Reading Stories From the Past & Writing Stories for Today

From an image:



What is he waiting for? He doesn't strike me as a man who is alone very often. He's sitting, but is he comfortable? Relaxed?

The letter on the desk behind him is half written..did he stop in the midst of the letter? Does he have difficult news to share?

At first I thought he was waiting for someone, but as I think a little more, I'm wondering if the news he has to send is just too hard. It is too hard to write and it is too hard to send?

A little note: An invitation to write with historical fiction writers. I'm thinking woo hoo! And yet, the room clears.

{Posted from my iPhone}

3 comments:

  1. Good imaginings! He looks so serious. Did they suggest finding old pics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know--you just reminded me of an activity that I used to do with Creative Writing. I brought in old photo copies of family pics (I have some from the early 1900's and later) and had students write about them. This was writer's notebook activity that sometimes brought surprising results. I think I found it through a Barry Lane book.

    Thanks for the reminder--I'll have to look that up again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, you will also have to share some of those old pics- that is a goldmine!

    Ruth, how could anyone get up and walk away from an invitation like that? My favorite part of the Penny Kittle, Linda Rief, and Doug Kaufman presentation was the way that writing time for me was woven into the session. I feel like one of my students because all I can say is: smh.

    ReplyDelete

I {heart} comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.