Don't miss my website!

Don't miss my website! Video lessons and more for teaching writers.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

fog delay

Writing Slice of Life stories together early in the morning.
The Call comes after my shower, after my makeup, after my shoes are on my feet. If I'm honest, this is the best time to get The Call. The fog is thick, altering my course of the day. Forcing me to stay home for a few hours. Like a rolling marquee the tasks march through my head.

Schedule teacher meetings. Dig through school email. Finish that punctuation unit outline. Make anchor chart for kindergarten. Throw in a load of laundry. Finish packing for NCTE. Schedule teacher meetings...

Then the footsteps. The little guy is up and he has many, many different plans. He has something of his own marquee. It goes like this:

I have a story to tell  you. Let's read some books. Can we play trains? I want to write. How about some chocolate milk? I need to dress up like Tweety Bird. Mom, won't you play with me?


"It's early, don't you want to go back to bed?"

Confusion passes over his face. He doesn't understand the concept of go back to bed, your mom has so many things that need to be done. "No, Mom," he says, "I have a story to tell you."

Deep momma sigh. I close my eyes and push the ticker tape tasks to the side, out of the front of my brain. I gather him up in my arms and I tell myself I won't be able to get these sweet little boy hugs forever. I know, I know, there will be a time when I'll beg him to get up and spend time with me. I snuggle in and he gives me a tight keep-you-forever hug. I'm ready, buddy, let me hear your story.

Sam's SOLS: Yesterday we stayed late at school. It was
stormy (see outside the window). Mrs. Self showed us
The Cat in the Hat on the Smart Board.


Join us for Slice of Life Challenge on Two Writing Teachers.

13 comments:

  1. Now you can be like me... packing for NCTE at the last moment!
    Enjoy the fog delay with Sam! It's nice to get a little extra, unexpected time, isn't it?
    BTW: Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to spend a fog delay after you're dressed and no place to go!! It is amazing little ones have no concept of staying in bed a little longer. Great moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears--because you don't know how true your statement about not getting sweet little boys hugs forever is. One day they will be gone and your fog delay agenda will happen. But you will so miss those morning hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ticker tape will stay the same through time, Sam's won't. I'm so glad you followed your heart. Love his slice! You have the sweetest kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS hits home for me nearly every day:

    "I know, I know, there will be a time when I'll beg him to get up and spend time with me."

    I try to keep that in mind whenever my little one unexpectedly interrupts my writing time :)

    Thanks for this sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My guys are at the stage where they go, go, go, & I don't get to do with them anymore & I miss those moments so very much. There are truthfully moments when I don't know what to do with myself & my husband laughs at me! So you so right to cherish these moments!
    Enjoy!
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you put down his conversation - that's exactly what they sound like: on a roll, stream of consciousness enthusiasm for all that there is to embrace in every new day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that 'deep momma sigh'. It's hard not to get going with all that is on the list, but you are right, you won't get those little boy hugs forever. I like the way you started right in with the words of 'The call', and we are immediately taken into the story. (Love the photos too.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet post! Thanks for sharing his "slice of life" with us -- I love that he included the detail that it was stormy outside by showing it in the window!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruth, I too love that "deep momma sigh." It is such an effective descriptor to communicate the complexity and depth of emotion that sigh held. By the end of the slice, I too was ready to hear his story!

    Sam, I recognized the Cat in the Hat right away! His hat and ears were good details to help me know your character. I can also tell you are a writer who collects details by noticing the world around you because the markers on the Smart Board ledge look just like the markers on the Smart Board ledges in my school. Thank you for sharing your slice of life today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Take time to enjoy the stuff that matters! They get big so fast and then there are no stories or chocolate milk or hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember seeing the title of this post, but I did not read it until today. I am so glad that I did. You captured the morning so well and it is an experience that I (and I would imagine most if not all moms) can relate to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elsie's comment is so true. Our motherly "to do" list is always on the go. Hold on tight to the hugs. Wish we could stop time. :)

    ReplyDelete

I {heart} comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.