Don't miss my website!

Don't miss my website! Video lessons and more for teaching writers.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

andy (soLs)

Photo taken in the Ozarks
on Thanksgiving 2011.
Andy, my husband, makes blog "appearances," from time to time, but usually only as a part of a post, a piece of a story. Sometimes he hijacks our family blog, the one I keep just for us, but never, not ever, would he consider hijacking my other blogs, mostly because writing isn't his "thing," as he calls it. Yesterday was Andy's birthday, so I could slice about that...but what did I want to capture? Spinning this idea in my mind, I realized I want to capture him.

  1. He has this calm about him, the kind that is made of patience and deep-rooted faith and confidence. He doesn't really get worked up about stuff, but rather, he takes life as it comes, never too seriously and always confident that it will be okay.
  2. He dotes on me. And the kids. And our families. And anyone who walks through our front door. I get a glimpse of what it means to have a servant's heart when I watch Andy with people. You know, he makes me a cup of hot tea every single morning, and I've never once heard him grumble about it.
  3.  He can make me laugh and smile and forget that I'm overwhelmed and wishing I could do more -- or at the very least get it right, whatever that means. He keeps the perspective on the things that really matter, joy and giggles, not laundry and dishes. And then, here's the remarkable part, he makes sure the dishes are clean at the end of the day, proof that I really don't need to worry.
He's 34 now, so there's 3, plus 4 more that you would know if you could hang out with him...
  1. He is a sports nut. Indianapolis Colts football; St. Louis Blues hockey; St. Louis Cardinals baseball...those are the main ones. But they aren't enough -- IU basketball; Purdue football; Komets hockey. And recently professional soccer -- he's learning the teams, Chelsea, Madrid, Barca...learning the players, and even starting to watch the games.
  2. He likes steak and he prefers to make it himself.
  3. A hard rock station or talk radio is tuned in his car, a black SUV.
  4. He can make anyone feel comfortable, usually by telling a crazy story from his past.

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful slice about your husband. You are a lucky woman from the sounds of your post. Thanks for sharing a bit about him with the rest of us!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special tribute to your husband on his birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Andy! And Ruth, all of those reasons are why we fall in love, aren't they? Maybe different for each but still, the most important is that he dotes on you! I love that word, and from the post, I know that you dote on him! Show, don't tell, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The love oozes throughout this post. You are both living an enchanted life. I hope it continues for you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a loving description! Thanks for sharing with us so we can get to know him! I learned from your "A Blogging Secret" post last Friday how caring he was because you said that he brings you your computer. I knew just how loving that was because it's something my husband would totally do too. It's nice to see that you share a wonderful love also! You've inspired me to write a description like this of my husband... maybe a future slice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful! This is the love that grows stronger as the years pass. Continue to take good care of each other!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a post like this that reminds me how much I love my husband too. They keep us grounded! Thanks for sharing the sweetness in your slice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first time you ever sent me a message, you thanked me for a comment by saying that you read the comment aloud to your husband. That was enough, for me, to describe what a great relationship you two have. I am so happy for both of you to share this day of celebration! Happy Birthday, Andy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice slice for Andy! I've read so much about your family, but mostly about your children. It's nice to "meet" Andy. Hope you all had a great time celebrating his birthday and him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a tribute to a loving father and spouse. It sounds like you are blessings to each other. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun slice and a nice way to celebrate your husband's birthday.

    ReplyDelete

I {heart} comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.