Don't miss my website!

Don't miss my website! Video lessons and more for teaching writers.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

my writing life (sols)

Yesterday I wrote a post and was pleasantly surprised to get a new glimpse into my writing life. Today I'm hoping to explore it more and learn more about my own writing process and finding time and gaining confidence and all of that stuff. So here's a little unplanned list. We'll see what is revealed.... (I'm a little anxious to see what pops up!)

  • I think about writing even when I'm not in front of my computer.
  • For my professional work, I find myself "talking it out" while I'm in the car. I have a long drive to and from work, so I have plenty of time alone to talk to myself. Recently I started to voice record some of these thoughts. I think it's interesting the way talk has become part of my writing process.
  • Drafting comes easily for my professional writing.
  • Drafting is difficult for my YA writing.
  • I use my writer's notebook a lot for my fiction work. It's almost nonexistent for my professional work. Although a lot of my professional thoughts are now captured on Two Writing Teachers.
  • I ask a lot of questions when I write fiction. Questions. Questions. Questions. I'd get tired of them if they weren't so useful.
  • Like all of the other creative endeavors in my life, writing tends to ebb and flow. There are times when the words are pouring onto the page and other times when I feel like my arms are going to fall off if I have to put another word on the page. I've learned that if I want to be a writer I can't be dictated by whether I feel like writing. I simply have to write. Every single day.
  • I'm becoming better at writing even when it's bad. Sometimes I have to write through the garbage to get to the good stuff. Why is it sometimes the words I need are muddled underneath a lot of words I don't need?
  • I like writing best when it is for me. When I'm trying to figure something out or capture a memory or play with words it is fun and good and relieves stress. It's okay to write just because it's fun. I don't always have to be productive, efficient, and on task.
Ahh...there it is. There is what I need to hear about my writing life. It's okay to write because it's fun. 

How about you? What are some things you are noticing about your writing life?


Join us on Two Writing Teachers for Slice of Life Story Challenge on Tuesdays.

8 comments:

  1. I always like your lists. They seem to tell me that it's one way to make sense of what I'm doing, & it's good to see others do it too. I guess I agree with most of what you say about my own writing, although I got excited about some fiction earlier & actually wrote a few things at the beginning & then can't get going again. It's easier writing other things. Your final point is just right for me, too. I like writing just for me. Thanks for sharing your lists Ruth-love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite thought:
    "There are times when the words are pouring onto the page and other times when I feel like my arms are going to fall off if I have to put another word on the page. I've learned that if I want to be a writer I can't be dictated by whether I feel like writing. I simply have to write. Every single day."
    I felt like that today. My writing came very easily to me. Other days, nothing. I think it's just like brushing your teeth or making your bed: once it becomes habit, it's not so hard to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been writing a lot of questions too. In Uganda, we noticed that many people ask a question as a part of conversation and then answer it - "We need to learn about new teaching practices, why do we need to learn, because we will become better teachers when we look at new ideas." I loved the rhythm of this question-talk and have noticed it coming out in some of my journaling. I too have found that the writing about my work life seems to be flowing lately. Now your list has me thinking about writing too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as I read about how you talk things out in the car, I was like, OMG, I'm not the only one! I do that too! I would do it at home more but my family looks at me weird. A voice recorder is a great idea. I've been thinking I would try the voice recognition feature in Word too (when no one is at home). Love your reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. I think today writing workshop is going to be all about writing lists, and I'm going to start with one of my own. Thank you for the thoughts and inspiration...again:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once you start seeing the world as potential for thought / writing, it's hard to stop! For the last three days, any time a student has a tough / strange question, we turn it into a potential writing project. It has been so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this post. Your list and all the comments to it show how similar the writers are in many ways. At the same time it matters that they use what works for them best. Car rides and long walks help me to sort my thoughts. Writing entered my life recently so I have still hard time defining myself as a writer and figuring out what does it really mean to me.
    Terje

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ever since I started blogging I find myself writing in my mind all the time. The spigot got turned on with that first blog and now it drips, constantly!

    ReplyDelete

I {heart} comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.