Don't miss my website!

Don't miss my website! Video lessons and more for teaching writers.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

14 years

  1. I was never, not ever going to marry that Andy Ayres. He was too wild.
  2. But he had these eyes -- the kind that change grey to blue to green, depending on his mood.
  3. And a streak of kindness unlike anyone I'd ever met. Genuine kindness, that no matter how I acted or what I did, he was still kind.
  4. Then there was this radical outlook on life -- that you never know how long you're going to get, so you might as well live the best you can, making the world as good as you can, because each day is a gift.
  5. And he made me better than I am.
  6. He has an unshakable faith, but he's not religious. He's too real to be defined by rituals.
  7. He makes me coffee every morning. Packs my lunch when I need it. Keeps gas in my car. 
  8. Except today. Today, of all days, he forgets. I make my own coffee. Pack the cooler on my own. Pump gas myself. It makes me love him more.
  9. Because he doesn't just love me on the days set aside as events. He loves me in the ordinary, the unmarked, the uneventful days.
  10. He makes a celebration of the everyday.
  11. Today marks fourteen years.
  12. And so much more.
  13. It is the moments, not the years that count. The moments of serving and taking big giant steps of faith and laughing and crying. And knowing...
  14. No matter what, we are in this together.
Links to other anniversary posts:

5 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, Ruth and Andy! Fourteen years is a whole lot of living! I'm glad you enjoy all the moments; precious they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary to you and your fan club president! Today is a good day for celebrations...I am working on a birthday post myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both are amazing together....joy and tears...loving well is great work. I love that Andy makes your coffee and his support of your writing life. congrats xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Live life the best that you can - that is the way to do it. I've just finished reading all the anniversary links, you both have not aged an iota in all these years. You have many great moments behind you, but so many more ahead. This is a special post on a special day. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! Your love and appreciation for each other makes you stronger as a couple day by day, year by year.
    Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete

I {heart} comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.