Don't miss my website!

Don't miss my website! Video lessons and more for teaching writers.

Friday, June 29, 2012

35 minutes. 3.5 miles. 35 years.

Happy birthday!
In January I set a goal for my 35th birthday.

Run a 5k without being dead for the rest of the day.

In May I changed the goal in honor of 35.
Run 3.5 miles in 35 minutes on my 35th birthday without being dead for the rest of the day.

Do you know the weather forecast for my birthday was 105 degrees?


I was a little nervous.

I dropped Sam off at Lego Camp and set out in the morning when it was 78 degrees. Do you know it feels 20 degrees hotter when you run?

I accomplished the run. Do you know it's really hard to leave a voice mail for your husband fifteen seconds after accomplishing your goal when you are still huffing and puffing?

I wasn't dead for the rest of the day.

I like working toward something hard. In March, when I began a walking/jogging routine, it was difficult to jog 30 seconds.

Now I can jog 35 minutes.

I know there are people faster. I know there are people who can jog longer. I'm not going to let that stop me from celebrating.

Because it's a very good thing to be able to do something at age 35 that I wasn't doing when I was younger.

So that was it...my big birthday present.

I ran 3.5 miles in 35 minutes on the day I turned 35.

11 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!! Definitely a celebration:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WooHoo! Fantastic. Congratulations on meeting your goal and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! 35 cheers for you! What an awesome accomplishment and may there be many more little celebrations of running without being dead for the rest of the day! :) Happy birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray! You guys inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I enjoyed reading about the gift to yourself. It makes me think about those everyday gifts that don't have anything to do with money and more about how we want to live our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the coolest ways to celebrate a birthday. I am impressed that you tackled your goal even in the heat and humidity. That had to have added some extra celebration to your accomplishment.

    And, just in case you were wondering, there are also those of us who are much slower joggers than that. It is definitely a feat of which you should be proud!

    Happy day after your birthday...I wish the weather today had something better in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, Happy Birthday! It is great to see you set a goal, accomplished it and then called your husband to huff and puff and tell him. I loved that part! Wonderful job running and living.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday and congratulations for accomplishing such a wonderful gift to yourself. That's such a good thing in life, to set the goal & to do it! You must feel very proud, Ruth, and all of us clearly are proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. An inspirational birthday gift to yourself. Keep jogging. Happy Birthday! Palju õnne sünnipäevaks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Happy belated birthday! What a wonderful accomplishment! It must feel very good to reach that goal. I like thinking about your statement "its a very good thing to be able to do something at age 35 that I wasn't doing when I was younger." I'll be 34 next month...it gives me something to think about. What can I do now that I couldn't do at a younger age? Is there a goal I want to set for myself? Thanks for sharing your story - it is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! Thank you for the comments and the support. You guys are too good to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

I {heart} comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.