Don't miss my website!

Don't miss my website! Video lessons and more for teaching writers.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

hot rod grandma

I was on my way to a meeting this morning when I pulled up to a stoplight behind a shiny black corvette. Around the license plate was a sign declaring:
Mamaw's Hot Rod

I was dying to get a glimpse of the driver, but the windows were tinted and the car was fast. Still, it made me think of writing and character development. I wondered about the character that is beginning to take root in my notebook (and maybe in my heart too). Would her grandma drive a hot rod?

{Discover. Play. Build.} Challenge
These kinds of unexpected traits are what make people fun. It's true in real life and it's true in fiction. This week's challenge is to create an OUTRAGEOUS list in your notebook, imagining odd and eccentric traits for a character. I can't wait to see what emerges in my notebook, as well as to hear how it goes for you.

1 comment:

  1. I am still muddling about with ideas for characters and found this interesting. I am finding I need to connect more personally before I can commit to one (new territory, means time). This post has spurred a new idea. I too wish you could have gotten a glimpse. But, maybe imaginations are more interesting than what was behind the glass.

    ReplyDelete

I {heart} comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.