Don't miss my website!

Don't miss my website! Video lessons and more for teaching writers.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

merry christmas (sols)

{page created in 2009 with Adobe Photoshop Elements}
I'm having some trouble sleeping and only expect it to continue for the next few days. The reason? I am absolutely giddy with excitement over the Christmas season. I like the anticipation and am actually thankful to be up earlier than expected, because I get to relish the season even more.

I know I'm not the only one who has trouble sleeping during this time of year. This morning, in the quiet of my car, my thoughts turned to those who aren't relishing the sleepless nights. I'm thinking of those who don't like the anticipation of the season.

  • The person with a job so stressful there is no time off, not even the weekend.
  • The family buried under bills and debt.
  • The woman whose husband left.
  • The one who is in the hospital.
  • Those with grief that could fill the ocean.
I know these people. 

They remind me of my Christmas wish --- that Christmas becomes more than a season. I want Christmas to be alive. It is my desire for Christmas to fill my heart and spill out all year long.  Because it is so very good. And the world can use just a little more very good in it.

Join us on Two Writing Teachers for Slice of Life every Tuesday.

12 comments:

  1. I love that your thoughts are with the people who are not eagerly anticipating this season. It's not a season of joy for all, but I am glad it's joyful for you and the rest of the Ayres family.
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder that not everyone is as lucky as many of us are. I would be a blessing if everyone would hold this spirit in their hearts all year. Have a blessed holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful post. I'm like you--I am very excited for Christmas. A good reminder that we are not all so lucky in our lives.

    By the way--once I read your comment on loving looking into others notebooks, I remembered your Peek into your notebook...I took other pictures that day. I may steal your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post - I too am beyond eager for the holiday but am also always thinking of those who this isn't a wonderful time for as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your scrapbook pages. It was a perfect way to set the tone for the post, showing glimpses into what Christmas means for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, find this time of year reflective of the many blessings in my life. Thank you for reminding us all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I'm not the only adult who still loses sleep with giddiness at Christmas coming! I will have to inform my husband that someone else still feels the same way. :-) Your reflection on the other, sadder reasons people lose sleep and the fact that you remembered them at this time of year was very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have found myself spilling over with gratitude lately. There is just so much very good in my life that I feel beyond lucky. I love your idea of spilling your heart out all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made me think of A Christmas Carol--good thoughts. How do we get Christmas to be alive all year long? Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you are giddy & want to help spread the wealth, so to speak. It reminds me of Deb's quote, which really speaks to the same idea, I think: "Life is so very difficult. How can we be anything but kind?" Thank you for these thought-filled words, Ruth. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope that in the lives of people shadowed with sadness and darkness there will be a flicker of hope that gives some warmth.
    From my point of view you spread the spirit of Christmas all year long. You encourage and support people to become better all the time.
    Peace and Joy!
    Terje

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since my children have grown up I haven't found the season to be as sleepless as it once was. I accept your challenge to keep Christmas in my heart for more than just the month of advent.

    ReplyDelete

I {heart} comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.