Don't miss my website!

Don't miss my website! Video lessons and more for teaching writers.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

hello november

Hello snuggles
Hello cuddles
Hello singing in the Christmas choir
Hello fire
And the bare trees
Hello slippers
Hello covers
Hello seasons
And hello mittens
Hello backward clocks
And hello socks
Hello piles of leaves
And hello long sleeves
Hello boots
And hello owl hoots
Hello early snows
And hello to the nose
Red from a tissue
Hello wind and grey
Hello slower days
Hello November

{I used Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown as a mentor for this little poem. It was fun to try to match the structure, but you must know it really stretched me. Rhyme is not something that is easy or natural for me.}

Join us on Two Writing Teachers for Slice of  Life Tuesdays.

8 comments:

  1. Really just right for November, at least where I live, too, especially "snuggles and cuddles". Love that flavor of Goodnight moon. I can just see all the little illustrations, maybe out some windows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I am going to share this with my teachers. What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Christi O. -- Technically that was in October. Yikes! It was almost my slice today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I could also envision the illustrations for your version of Brown's classic.

    Wow. And our PD this week is on mentor texts.
    Thanks!!! Can I share?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @b...of course you can share. I appreciate the compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. For stretching you, it sure appears to have fallen together effortlessly. You can't beat a rhythm created by Margaret Wise Brown!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your poem is also like a lighter version of In November!
    The "backward clocks" is so clever!!!

    ReplyDelete

I {heart} comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.