Don't miss my website!

Don't miss my website! Video lessons and more for teaching writers.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

connect (soLs)

My One Little Word (OLW) for 2011 is connect. It is everything my OLW needed to be. It would challenge me and encourage me. It touches on all parts of my life and is so simple, yet rich and vibrant too. It's been six months since I started living with this word. Here is what I'm learning:

  • I have to slow down in order to connect.
  • It is not enough to have good intentions -- to think about sending a card; to remember a birthday ahead of time, but not on the day; to get a gift, but not give it -- I have to follow through in order to connect.
  • I connect when I'm intentional. I have to think about it minute-by-minute throughout the day and then look for opportunities to connect.
  • Sometimes it is easier to connect than others.
  • One of my favorite ways to connect to others is by offering encouragement.
  • I'm learning to connect in all aspects of my life as a: mother, wife, teacher, learner, writer, reader, artist, friend, daughter, sister, on and on and on.
Connections are essential to humans. When I connect, my life is sweeter.

How's your One Little Word going?

6 comments:

  1. I love the connection you've made through your blogs. Thank you for connecting to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your statement that "Connections are essential to humans." This reminds me of Stacey's question about what moves us. Connections is the answer. I also like that you say you say you connect when you are intentional. I am thinking of adopting the word "intention." It needs a good home, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had such an interesting experience with my OLW this year - I love my word: notice - but the experience of the prompts has got me thinking and writing and creating in an entirely different way than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so true that it is not enough to just have good intentions. Your word "connect" translates as care and touch for me. I like how you say that your life is sweeter.
    It seems quite a challenge to pick just one word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't played with my word as much as I would have liked but I do think about it often. Saw this - reminded me of you- from the ReVERB people

    Courage to Connect by David Spinks
    Men imagine that they communicate their virtue or vice only by overt actions, and do not see that virtue or vice emit a breath every moment. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Who is one person that you’ve been dying to connect with, but just haven’t had the courage to reach out to? First, reflect on why you want to get in touch with them. Then, reach out and set up a meeting.
    http://ralphwaldoemerson.me/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it when you show your reflections, & are intentional in that thinking. It helps show me to slow down & really think about the reasons why of things. My OLW work was going well until I began writing more with the blog, but I do reflect weekly about it. I chose the word 'resilience' this year. I am interested in how people learn to be resilient, what really supports them in being resilient. The OLW challenge is special!

    ReplyDelete

I {heart} comments. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.